Friday, July 16, 2010

Life in the Pasture

As an American hard work and independence are what the culture breeds into us. This tends to make our hearts into work horses or race horses--always working, always running. However God says to "Be still and know that I am God." (Is. 46:10) I like the RSV which says "Cease striving and know that I am God." Stillness and rest feed the heart and awaken it to God's presence and His still, small voice. Its hard to hear a whisper in the midst of a storm!!

There was a time in my life that all ministry, friendships and familiarity was removed from me due to a move and some other events. Honestly I was a little depressed feeling like I was put out to pasture and of no use. However, God started working in my heart to show me He had actually brought out into the pasture for my own good--to nourish me deeply with good food and stroke my overworked horse muscles with rest. As I contemplated Ps. 23, "He makes me lie down in green pastures" I realized I didn't even know what was good for me and He had to make me lie down for a while. So what felt like being put out to pasture was actually Him pasturing me for my own refreshment, health and life in Him as well as WITH Him.

Chuck (my husband) has a big project at work this week. He had several problems he was trying to work through. Nothing was coming no matter how much time and energy he put into it. As he rode the train home, his mind was given some rest from the situation and also the space to free it up to really think. Presto...the solution came to him after a half hour of rest.

Rest, beauty, quietness, space all feed the soul so it can flourish and we can finish our race here on earth well. Have you eaten or lied down in the pasture recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment