Thursday, July 15, 2010

God's Garden

I just finished rearranging my perennial garden. I have sore arms and legs to prove it. I have sandy soil which means there are few nutrients in the dirt and my plants end up being smaller than expected and dry out easily due to the water running right through the ground. With each plant (about 100), I dug a large hole and filled it in with two shovels of black dirt before setting my plants in to take root. To top off my project (literally and figuratively), I spread dark brown mulch on the surface of the whole garden. I asked myself why? Well, to make it look better, to keep the weeds down and to help with moisture retention--all so the roots would have the best possible conditions in which to grow, knowing this is what causes the blooms I'm after. But why did I pick dark brown. Well, I have to admit I think I was trying to make it look like I have rich soil all over the garden.

Our hearts are a lot like the flowers in my garden. We start out planted in poor soil. With God's help, those roots must be dug up and placed in rich soil for real life to spring forth, for real transformation to occur. If we are just learning about Him and gathering facts or going through the motions of what we think a Christian is, then we are really just spreading mulch on the garden of our heart; making it look good on the outside, but really there is nothing deeper. Or we can focus on the blooming--wanting to be seen by others and getting our identity there. There still will not be the BEST yield of blooms because our roots are still in poor soil and eventually the plant will wither and die due to burnout. Jesus told us to abide in Him. This means to draw from Him much like roots in soil and not just "mulching" the surface, nor trying to blossom without internal nutrients. Whatever our roots are growing in, that's what is providing the food for growth. Real change happens internally when places in our heart that are sickly or altogether dead or dying are uprooted. These roots are dug up by conviction of sin and repentance, recognition of lies believed that are contrary to what God says, or seeing the wounds that cripple us. By taking them to the expert Gardener, He will place them in the life sustaining, rich soil of His Word to bring truth and life. His presence will tenderly care for the plant through replanting, pruning, fertilizing and watering so that healing and growth can produce blooms. This involves time investment, sometimes pain and for sure an emptying to be filled with something greater and then its time to BLOOM from the inside out!!

I've tried to make a pretty garden by just adding mulch on top to give the appearance of beautiful life, but the flowers on the plants tell the true state of my garden. Next year I'm hoping for a bumper crop of flowers and much growth due to the time and investment I made this summer. Now the plants need time to rest, deepen their roots and draw up the nutrients to grow into a lovely, colorful garden.

Our hearts need rest and time to draw richly from God's spirit to blossom into all we were meant to be. There are no short cuts to growth. Believe me I've tried in the garden and in my walk with Jesus! Just as I'm expecting my garden to be more glorious next year, so my heart is becoming more glorious for Him as I abide and grow to reflect more of Him, my true life source.

"And we who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit." 2 Cor. 18

How about your heart--are you focused on your bloom or your roots?!

No comments:

Post a Comment