Saturday, July 10, 2010

Good Bye Pride, Hello Humility

I'm reading Ephesians right now and came to 5:1 about Christ giving Himself as an offering and sacrifice to God. A few days ago I read a devotional to my kids about sacrifice so I've been letting that word rumble around my head for a few days--do we really ask Him what sacrifices He would delight in us offering (not legalistically to make ourselves feel better, but that which He reveals as a means to draw nearer Him in obedience to His spirit). I asked God what He would like me to sacrifice---"Pride" came to my heart. That's IT--the heaviness on my heart is pride!!!. With a confrontation with a lady in my small group and the heaviness in my heart afterwards, I felt like I had failed but really, its PRIDE. Thinking I'm doing the teaching, convicting, leading others to intimacy with God, etc. That is the Holy Spirit's role and the other person's responsibility to respond!!!! I am to fix my eyes on Jesus and persevere in my walk with Him and declare His work/truth but the fruit is His. Its so easy to take ownership because our flesh is weak!!! This is also so close to the "its all up to me" lie I live under from the agreement I made when my dad died (it was my flesh agreeing with the enemy to put me in bondage to taking on more than is what God would have out of fear, feeling like I'm on my own, etc.--all to overburden me and to get my identity in duty/service and not Christ.)

Although I'm not an elder, due to God's calling I have been placed in leadership, so in a way first Peter 5 applies "be eager to serve(not because you must, but because you are willing), not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being an example to the flock...clothe yourself with humility."

Praise God for conviction of sin---good bye pride, hello humility!

Blessings to you this glorious day in His-story--He's on the move, may we open our eyes to see Him and follow!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment