Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Trust the Wind

I was walking one very blustery morning along the North Shore and the wind was coming inoff Lake Superior. The mixture of rain/snow and wind made me wonder what I was doing outside! I wanted some much needed exercise and fresh air and was willing to pay the cost knowing I could warm up when I reached my destination, a cozy cabin, when I was done. I found myself sympathizing with the wild animals, birds in particular.

As I strolled along the road, I noticed my presence scared a bird out of an evergreen where it had been taking refuge. It flew up in a start and was carried off by the unrelentless wind that was cutting through the air like a sheet. I felt a bit guilty about disrupting the poor little thing on such a day...and God reminded me of His care of the sparrows. As I pondered this, I realized the bird trusted its God given instincts more than its own comfort. While it was forcibly pushed by the wind a quite a speed, perhaps in a direction it wasn't even expecting, it ended up in a new destination...perhaps even better than the first.

I got thinking how the Bible compares the Holy Spirit to the wind in John 3:8..."The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit." Just like the bird, if we really trust God, we will "ride" the Holy Spirit wind and go where He is going--physically or deeper in our own hearts without regard to our comfort nor the destination.

Are you focused on the destination or your own comfort and missing the wind that would carry you? Oswald Chambers says that we tend to focus on the destination while God focuses on the process...He desires to carry us as we surrender to His Spirit and soar with Him, sheltered under His wings and warmed by His presence...draw near to Him today and FLY!!! Enjoy the journey and trust Him with the destination...

No comments:

Post a Comment