Saturday, April 2, 2011

Fear of the Lord

One morning I woke up extra early to spend some time with God. I asked Him to lead the time and "he took me out of a slimy pit and set my feet on a rock" came to mind. In the concordance I found that verse was in Psalm 40 and proceded to read the passage. What really struck me was verse 3: "Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord." What an odd combination of verbs---see, fear, trust. I think I'm too familiar with "being afraid" to really get what God is communicating here when I read the word "fear". The dictionary was no help, one definition is "reverential awe". That still didn't capture my heart, so I asked God to give me a picture that would aid in my understanding. As I waited, rolling hills with sun rays beaming up behind them like a sunrise started to emerge. There was a small valley with a path winding from it to the forefront. Along the path was a quaint home. It was a sweet image, filled with beauty, quietness, inspiration and an invitation...an invitation to leave the quaint home to follow the path to destinations unknown, but inspired by and lighted by the fresh dawning light. That's it---that's the fear of the Lord. He shines in the darkness, lights our path, enlarges our vision and invites us on adventures to leave our comfort zones, surrounded by the security of His presence and drawing ever closer to the source of light as we journey the path of life. I found my heart praising God...indeed that picture is seeing and "fearing" and by it trusting God because He is bigger, better and brighter than anything else that could capture my gaze!

1 comment: